Friday, March 30, 2007

Latest news about home education

I subscribe to Google Alerts: homeschool and home education, and today i received two news articles with very stark contrasts, complete opposites:

35,000 lost to schooling

This one says that a quarter of all home-educated children in the UK, do not receive any education at all! Who are the uneducated here!!? They refuse to acknowledge there is such a thing as alternative learning methods to those used in school, that's what I believe. Do you really think that a quarter (!!!) of all home-educated children in the UK are just former truants, whose parents have been persuaded to withdraw their children from school for the school's attendance figures!!?
Either way, learning is life-long! LIFE is learning.

New research agrees: Moms do it better

Thank you. A bit harsh in the tone, perhaps, but there are interesting research results cited that one could follow up.

This reminded me of Bowlby and attachement parenting... I wrote down some names somwhere that I wanted to do a search on. Names of professors that are of the belief that putting children in the care of strangers before the age of five is harmful and detrimental for them. Hm, can't find it now, so it'll have to wait 'til later.

2 comments:

Umm Raiyaan said...

Assalamu Alaikum Sister,

this is the first time I have visited your site and all I can say is MASHA’ALLAH. I have just started homeschooling and thought there was nothing out there. But there are loads! May Allah reward you. Is there any chance I could email you privately asking you a few questions. Tried to look for a way of contacting you but only found this. Jzk, Wasaalaam,
Umm Raiyaan. x

Oum Anas said...

Wa aleikum salaam sister,

SubhaanAllah, I thought I had an e-mail link on this page...
I'll get one up, inshaa Allah, don't know where to "hide" it though (to avoid spam).
I think I'll link my kunya to it, inshaa Allah.

Assalamu aleikum